This is my current favourite pose. Now I know one shouldn’t curry favourites, but I just can’t help myself. Parvottanasna gets at all the tight bits in my hips and thighs that tend to cause my back to dislocate (you know, the ole hyper-mobile SI joints). What’s not to love about pain management? And it stretches my (always tight) calves in the most satisfying manner.
Here is a nice neat translation from Yoga Journal:
parsva = side, flank
ut = intense
tan = to stretch or extend (compare the Latin verb tendere, “to stretch or extend”)
And you can get their full how-to here.
Ahhhhhh. Stretch bliss. Gotta love the yoga.
- Yoga Postures: Powerful Plank Pose (melbournemobileyoga.com.au)
- Beautiful Yoga Art (yogawithnadine.com)
- Love some poses, hate others? Me too. (melbournemobileyoga.com.au)
- My body doesn’t bend right for yoga (elephant journal.com)
- SI Joint Pain and Yoga (yogawithnadine.com)
- Yoga for the Back (yogawithnadine.com)